Thursday, June 4, 2009

Life as a Case Management Intern

Coming out of college as an undergraduate, I went right into graduate school to get my masters in clinical social work at the University of Chicago. I was placed at the Lincoln Park Community Shelter for my first year field placement, and I couldn’t have asked for a more supportive, clinical learning, eye-opening experience. Although my interest lies in medical social work, I had the great opportunity to work with a diverse range of homeless individuals who all have touched me in some way. I learned from all thirteen guests I personally worked with, and feel that I helped made positive life changes for a group of them. As I am leaving LPCS, I feel confident and assured that I’ve made small to large impacts on some of the guests of LPCS. As an intern I was able to not only use my clinical skills that I was simultaneously learning in class during our meetings, but I learned a lot about outside agencies where our guests receive substance abuse counseling, mental health treatment, job training classes, etc. Overall I’ve loved being an intern at LPCS; the staff, guests, and volunteers all made my experience worthwhile.
--Emily Klauder, LPCS Case Management Intern

No comments: