Thursday, December 9, 2010

What a year it's going to be!

There I was, covered in flour, red and green food coloring staining the tips of my fingers, as I kneaded a mound of salt dough in the kitchen of Lincoln Park Community Shelter. An informal assembly line of guests filled the space around me, armed with rolling pins and cookie cutters as we laughed and crooned, rather off-key, along with the Rat Pack playing on the stereo. Our mission: to make fifty ornaments for Sunday’s Holiday Sing-A-Long at St. Paul’s Church.
This was not quite the scenario I’d imagined when I took over the Volunteer Coordinator position here at LPCS. I am, however, quickly coming to realize that these are exactly the kinds of moments that are going to make the next year one of the best I’ve ever had!


I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have welcomed me into the LPCS community. The few short weeks since I began have flown by faster than I could have imagined! It’s been a whirlwind of information and faces and wonderful stories and the sense that I’ve become part of a pretty incredible group of people--from the volunteers, to staff and, most of all, the guests of LPCS--grows stronger every day!
 
--Julia Weegar, LPCS Volunteer Coordinator and AmeriCorps*VISTA

No comments: