Thursday, February 10, 2011

Learning through Teaching

Imaginarium, 2010
I first heard about LPCS when I was a student at School of the Art Institute in Spring 2010.  Our class worked with some of the guests for several weeks on a Community Art Project entitled Imaginarium, which we then displayed in a one-night show. We worked together, on separate panels that were finally interlocked to make a free-standing sculpture. Each piece was different, and couldn’t stand up on its own, but together they made a wonderful thing, much like each one of us in our community.  I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect, but found the guests to be so friendly, eager to learn and try new things, expressing themselves through different visual media, I felt privileged to be a part of it. The staff and guests are so welcoming, some of my classmates and I didn’t want our "Art Class Wednesdays" to end, so we continued them weekly throughout the summer.

Now I teach it one day a month, and it is one of the most gratifying things I have ever done: for example, when a guest who claims “oh, but I’m not an artist,” jumps in anyway and tries, and ends up creating something beautiful and unique, the smile on their face is priceless. Even though it takes a bit of planning to balance time for my own homework and hunt for art supplies, I love the friendly creative energy at LPCS so much, working with the guests in these art classes is absolutely worth it. I am honored to have been invited back to participate with the LPCS guests and students in this year’s SAIC Community Art Practices class, and look forward to the new amazing work we will create. We look forward to meeting you at our truly unique show in May, so mark your calendars for Wednesday, May 4th!
--Leona, SAIC student and LPCS volunteer

1 comment:

Brent Carstensen said...

Thanks for your support of LPCS!