Monday, September 15, 2014

Volunteer Spotlight: Fawn


This month we want to honor Fawn as our Volunteer Spotlight for August. For over a year and a half, Fawn has been volunteering at LPCS in a number of roles including overnights, track instructor, and front desk. We caught up with her to ask her a few questions about her volunteer experience at LPCS and some other fun facts, here's what she had to say:

Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan.

Occupation: self-employed.

How I got involved with LPCS: A friend had recommended LPCS to me after I moved and was struggling to find a place to volunteer at that I enjoyed. After looking over the website and attending the volunteer orientation, I fell in love with LPCS and what it does for the community.

Length of time LPCS volunteer: around a year and a half I believe.

What I like best about volunteering at LPCS: Easily the people. From the guests who always have a smile on their face and take the time out of their days to talk with me, to the staff members whose passion for LPCS is so contagious, I can't help but want to do more for the shelter. 

Most memorable experience at LPCS: My first time volunteering at the community engagement program on Sunday's. I walked in having no idea what to expect and came away with not only wanting to get more involved with LPCS, but with a greater appreciation for what Linda (and the rest of the staff) do on a daily basis. 

Hobbies/favorite past times: hanging out with friends, craft/DIY projects, watching baseball and college football, having dance parties, and exploring Chicago.

Personal heroes: My dad. He is one of the smartest and kindest people I know, incredibly strong and he pushes me every day to be a better person than I was the day before.

Last good movie I saw: I am horrible at watching movies, but I just finished binge watching True Detective and it was AMAZING. I am keeping my fingers crossed there will be a second season.

If I could do it over again, I would: Move to Chicago. The city is absolutely gorgeous, I've met so many great people, and have had more experiences than I could have ever dreamed of.

No comments: