Friday, September 16, 2011

A New Journey


As the new Program Intern at LPCS, I would like to take a moment to introduce myself and to express my gratitude to the guests, staff, and volunteers for welcoming me so graciously into the LPCS family. My name is Keri Arnholz. I currently reside on the North side of Chicago. I am a social work graduate student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, with a concentration in Community Health and Urban Development. I have joined LPCS for my final year in grad school.

After almost six years working in social services, I remain committed as ever to issues of social justice, including homelessness and poverty. My previous experience in acute & long-term inpatient settings has helped me become more aware of the importance of community-based organizations in promoting long-term self-sufficiency and a greater quality of life. As a proponent of empowerment practice, it has been exciting to see how this concept is truly present throughout all programs, activities, and day-to-day interactions at LPCS. It has also been exciting to witness an interim housing model, including wrap-around services after learning about the increased emphasis on its importance in combating homelessness. LPCS embodies all of the major components of the interim housing model in a way that I never imagined I would find.

It is my honor to be a part of this organization. I look forward to learning from the insight and knowledge of staff, volunteers, and guests, as well as utilizing my experience to contribute to the LPCS mission.

Thank you!

Keri

No comments: