Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Welcome, Dana!



Hi, my name is Dana Furuyama. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. This past June, I graduated with a Bachelors of Art Degree in English and a minor in Psychology. I am excited to be the new Volunteer Coordinator of the Lincoln Park Community Shelter, found through the Lutheran Volunteer Corps.

During my last year of undergraduate study, I was looking into various volunteer programs that offered opportunities to do social justice work. I came across the Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC), a one-year, national volunteer service program that challenge volunteers to explore spirituality while working for social justice and practicing sustainability. I went through the process of applying and interviewing with LVC. I then learned about the possible placement at the Lincoln Park Community Shelter.

In college, I was involved with several LGBTQIA organizations. I wanted to find a way that I could incorporate my previous work in the undergraduate community with my work post-graduation. As you can imagine, I was very excited when I found LPCS because they offer housing to transgender folks. The homeless/transgender community is under-served due to the lack of resources that they can safely access. I’m proud to be working at an organization that provides a safe space and many services to all individuals, regardless of their gender identity or presentation. I’m very thrilled to be working here for the upcoming year and can’t wait to get to know everyone!

By: Dana Furuyama

1 comment:

Gilaad said...

Welcome Dana,
We look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Gil Matar, President, LPCS