Thursday, September 27, 2012

Welcome, Nate!



Growing up, I was extremely lucky to have a very strong support system – family, friends, teachers, coaches, and many others. As I began my teen years, I learned about the importance of giving back to the community through volunteering with the Red Cross, peer tutoring, and fundraising for causes such as “Relay for Life”.

Upon graduating from a small high school in Upstate NY, my academic career led me to Carthage College in Kenosha, WI, where I majored in Sociology with minors in Criminal Justice and Spanish. While in undergrad, I continued to volunteer and do social service work with the Boys and Girls Club of Kenosha, serving as President of Pals and Partners (a local Big Brother/Big Sister sort of organization), and participating in events like the AIDS Walk, Wisconsin. After graduating, I entered the work force in the child welfare field, working for several DCFS agencies in Wisconsin and Illinois for 7 years. Simultaneously, I was able to continue with my education, studying Addiction Studies at Harold Washington College and beginning the MSW program at UIC in 2010.

My first internship was with the United States Probation Department, working in the Supervision Unit of the Mental Health Division. In this internship, I held a small caseload of sex offenders and people with severe mental illnesses – This entire journey has led me to my position as a Program Intern at the Lincoln Park Community Shelter while pursuing a Masters of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Chicago. 

I have learned so much in the past few weeks at LPCS. Each day I have come to work, I’ve left knowing that the time I spent here was helpful to the Guests and meaningful for me. The program and work of the staff and volunteers here at LPCS is extremely commendable and I am looking forward to adding to their effort over the next 8 months. The experience has already been rewarding and will prove to be a great endeavor of my passion for social justice. Thanks LPCS for the warm welcome into your community!  

By: Nate Rosato

No comments: