Every week I am responsible for the LPCS blog. Most of the time, this means writing something about our Guests/Grads, anything unique that is occurring at LPCS, or items in the world that relate to our Mission and Values. For the past few weeks, in an attempt to stay lighthearted and positive, I have written about the generous donations we received over the holidays and our amazing volunteers, while simultaneously feeling heartache as I read other articles in the daily news.
I am not often one to sit quietly as people discuss gun control, the terrifying rate of homicides in Chicago, or the devastating massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary. Do not worry; I do not plan on spouting my own political agenda (this time…). Instead, I would like to use this week’s blog to make a very special request of everyone.
In honor of the 26 boys, girls, and teachers that lost their lives too soon, please attempt to do one small act of kindness for each. If everyone contributes something small to make the world a better place, then, simply enough, the world would become a better place. Below are 26 (not-so) random acts of kindness that you can do today to help achieve this:
1. Deliver fresh-baked cookies to city workers
2. Collect goods for a food bank
3. Volunteer to be a tutor in a school
4. Sing at a nursing home
5. Offer a couple of hours of baby-sitting to parents
6. Call or visit a home-bound person.
7. Transport someone who can’t drive
8. Send a treat to a school or day-care center
9. Adopt a homeless pet from the humane society
10. Host special programs or speakers at libraries or bookstores.
11. Volunteer to read to students in the classroom
12. Write notes of appreciation and bring flowers or goodies to teachers or other important people, such as the principal, nurse, custodian, and secretary
13. Write a thank-you note to someone who has influenced you in a positive way
14. Give coffee to people on their way to work in the morning
15. Give blood
16. Drop off a plant, cookies, or donuts to the police or fire department
17. Pay for the person behind you in the movie line
18. Offer to return a shopping cart to the store for someone loading a car
19. Write a card of thanks and leave it with your tip. Be sure to be specific in your thanks
20. Let the person behind you in the grocery store go ahead of you in line
21. Buy cold drinks for the people next to you at a ball game
22. Distribute kindness bookmarks that you have made
23. Give a bag of groceries to a homeless person
24. Send a letter to former teachers, letting them know the difference they made in your life
25. Organize a clothing drive for a shelter
26. Provide books for a day care or school
Please share any of your own personal random acts of kindness or share something kind that someone else has done for you recently. (Comment below, post on our FB Page, or tell me personally in an email). Thank you for your kindnesses.