Thursday, March 7, 2013

Marnee's Story



Good Morning. My name is Marnee and I am a graduate of the Lincoln Park Community Shelter and I am here to tell you why LPCS is important to me. There are three main reasons.

After floundering for awhile, I came to the Lincoln Park Community Shelter from another shelter, so first what made LPCS important was the ability to stay longer than 4 months.  I was going back to school and needed to have a home base for longer than that.  Most shelters are for 4 months.  Once you move in you almost immediately have to start looking for another place for after those 4 months.  These places are not easy to find or once found not easy to get into.  Luckily for me, LPCS had an undesignated amount of time stay.  This lifted a lot of stress off of me.  I was there for 11 months.  

Secondly, in that time I found I had an opportunity to work on me.  LPCS has several programs to help you and move yourself in the direction you want to go.  I had some emotional and physical problems that I vigorously worked on.  I took advantage of the groups and programs offered and started to build a foundation and for the first time in my life laid down a path to work on that I am still following today.  

And thirdly ……They found me a place (EHP) to continue on.  After 11 months I did what I could and they did what they could for me.  My case worker at the time found me another program to help me further. 
Today I am now secure.  I am on social security disability; I have a roof over my head, food in the refrigerator, and a bus pass in my pocket.  For the first time in my life I can honestly say I’m ok, and it feels great.

I could not have done what I have achieved without the aid of LPCS.

Thank you God for this moment and thank you all for listening.

No comments: