Thursday, July 25, 2013

Goodbye, Chicago!

Hello LPCS Friends and Supporters!

Wow, I can’t believe that a year has gone by! It seems like not too long ago, I was packing up all my things and preparing to move to Chicago. I had no idea what I was getting myself into at the time. Now
in a few days, I will be doing just the opposite and heading back home. As I wrap up my year here in Chicago, I feel a mixture of sadness as well as excitement to move on to the next chapter of my life.

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone that I have had the pleasure working with this year. I am sorry to have to say good-bye to all the people that I have come to know and build relationships with during my time as the Volunteer Coordinator. I leave with a jam-packed year’s worth of experience under my belt, which can only help me in my future endeavors. I will definitely miss the chatty banter with Guests as they come back to the Shelter for the night as well as the volunteers I have become close with throughout the year. I leave here knowing that I have contributed to an organization that is truly dedicated to its mission in providing people the support and resources necessary to make positive and lasting changes to their lives.

It has truly been an honor to work alongside such a dedicated staff and family of volunteers and I will miss you all very much (but maybe not enough to survive another winter-haha, I will be thinking of all of you when it is 65 degrees and I am sitting on the beach in California in the middle of January).

There will be a new Lutheran Volunteer Corps Member starting in Mid-August. If there is one word of advice I can give to the future Volunteer Coordinator, it would be to jump into the job- you’ll meet some of the most interesting as well as the most good-hearted folks here. Enjoy your time here; it will be over before you know it!

Thank you once again for this wonderful opportunity. I will hold it close to my heart always.

Dana Furuyama

No comments: