Thursday, August 22, 2013

Meet Lauren, newest member to the LPCS Team!



Hello, everyone! My name is Lauren Kirby and I am thrilled to fill the Volunteer Coordinator position for the next year. I was born in Omaha, Nebraska, but Cedar Rapids, Iowa is where I consider home. I recently graduated in May from the University of Northern Iowa with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a minor in Spanish. I love to read, enjoy the outdoors, travel, and most importantly, spend time with friends and family. 

I discovered LVC (Lutheran Volunteer Corp) from an LVC alumna, which I am so grateful for! The goal of being a member of LVC is “building community, working for justice, and living simply and sustainably”. We had orientation last week and then a few free days to venture around the great city of Chicago. 

I just returned a couple of weeks ago from three months in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, working with military children living on base; it was quite the experience as well as a learning opportunity! I also got to live the Hawaiian life, which included snorkeling, skydiving, surfing, and going to a Luau.

I can’t wait to jump into this position and hold up the remarkable reputation of LPCS. I have a long term goal of working in the non-profit world as well as working toward social justice. I have only heard great things about LPCS and feel incredibly fortunate to work with this organization. I am eager to work with and get to know wonderful people and am very pleased to be here! 

By: Lauren Kirby, Volunteer Coordinator 
Attending a Luau in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

No comments: