Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Volunteer Spotlight: Judi

We would like to congratulate Judi Cole, our Volunteer Spotlight for the month of January. Judi is a Corporate Claims Manager with K2 Industrial Services. She began volunteering in October after learning about the shelter through her daughter’s friend, a current Guest. She says she enjoys “the opportunity to give back.  A lot of people have been kind to me and helped me in my lifetime.  Through volunteering at LPCS, I am able to give back.  And – of course, I love the guests – I think we all love the guests!” Outside of volunteering, she says “I love to read, and I love the beach.  And shopping – I love my shopping”.

In just three months she has become an incredibly dedicated and helpful volunteer.  We chose Judi this month for her outstanding work volunteering for overnights.  Judi, who had already completed many shifts in a short amount of time, graciously volunteered for overnights during Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Eve.

Something that Judi has learned through volunteering here is, “people just want to be treated with kindness and understanding.  People have things to say and sometimes just listening is all I have to do”.  The Guests are always very appreciative of her genuine interest, care, and contagious smile; they say that Judi goes above and beyond. One particular Guest said Judi saw her knitting one night; the next overnight, Judi arrived with much needed yarn and supplies to continue. The Guests look forward to an evening of movie watching, and a wonderful addition to breakfast the next morning.

We thank Judi not only for her persistence and dedication as a volunteer, but also for being a friend to many at LPCS!

--Lauren Kirby, Volunteer Coordinator

No comments: